Here we go again. Facebook have decided that they will be choosing what you read on your newsfeed. Anyway, here is a simple way to view the most recent posts on your Facebook newsfeed on a mobile device.
For iPhone users:
1. Log in to Facebook on your mobile
2. At the bottom right of the screen you will notice three small bars and the label ‘more’, click this (see image below).
3. Scroll down until you find ‘FEEDS’ and then you can click ‘Most Recent’
For Android users:
1. Log in to Facebook on your mobile
2. At the top you will notice three small bars and the label ‘more’, click this (see image below).
3. Select ‘Most Recent’
Please do comment if you are having any other issues with this.
It is frustrating when you are searching for someone on Facebook and they don’t show up. The good news is that it’s possible to perform an advanced search on Facebook. Here are the steps to do so.
1. First of all, log in to Facebook.
2. Once logged in, go to: www.facebook.com/people-search.php
3. You should then be presented with options such as ‘people you may know’
4. To the right of this are the advanced filters to use when searching for friends.
It should look a little something like this:
It is really embarrassing when an annoying Facebook video starts playing automatically as you scroll through your newsfeed. Here is how to turn off the auto-play feature on the iPhone app and stop those horrible moments!
How to turn off Facebook auto-play videos on the iPhone app.
One solution is to turn on the ‘Auto-play on Wi-fi only’ option. To do this you will need to do the following steps on your iPhone:
Step 1: Go to Settings and locate ‘Facebook’:
2. Click on the small ‘Settings’ tab under the ‘Facebook’ logo:
3. Finally, turn on the ‘Auto-play on Wi-Fi only’ feature:
Please note: as stated in the settings, this is only to turn off when not connected to Wi-Fi. Right now, Facebook, for whatever reason, do not allow you to completely turn off auto-play for videos.
I often get asked “How do you find the direct link (aka permalink) of a Facebook post?”. It is fairly straightforward and you can do this for any page or timeline post.
Here are the four steps to finding the permalink for a Facebook post:
- Find the post that you require the permalink for
- Locate the ‘timestamp’ for the post. This will either be an amount of time e.g. 30 minutes ago (for recent posts), or it will be a date e.g. 30th April (for older posts).
- Right click on the timestamp and copy the url. Alternatively, you can click the timestamp with left mouse button and it will open up the post into a page where you can copy the permalink from your address (URL) bar at the top.
- Now you can copy and paste the permalink as you please!
The timestamp will look like this:
In case you haven’t heard, Twitter is getting a whole new look. After rolling out the redesigned profile pages to a small number of users, Twitter is beginning to update its entire user base—a move it had promised weeks ago.
So what are the new sizes? Everything is explained below. Continue reading
Many people ask me “how can I add emoticons to my tweets?”. Well here is how.
If you’re a regular Twitter user then you’ve most likely seen emoticons like these before:
😄 😃 😊 😉 😍 😘 😚 😜 😝 😳 👂 👀 👃 👅 👄
🐶 🐺 🐱 🐭 🐹 🐰 🐸 🐯 🆕 🆙 🆒 🆓 ⛄ 💀 👽 💩
If you copy and paste any of these into Twitter you will be able to physically Tweet the emoticons. They have a special name which is “emoji” (a Japanese term meaning pictogram). Twitter often tweet about this functionality with hashtag “#emojiparty”.
A full list of emoji can be found online here: Full list of Emoji
What about mobile users?
If you want to use emoji on your iPhone, Android or tablet then read up here:
Founded by Stepan Pachikov, the Evernote web service launched into open beta on June 24, 2008. Since the launch, it has exploded and currently (as of December, 2013) has 80 million subscribers.
But what about the revenue? What is the business model for Evernote?
The company follows a freemium model: users try out the basic product for free, and when they become addicted, they upgrade to the premium service. It’s a definite incentive to build the most customer-pleasing, competitive, addictive product you can. Continue reading
Local SEO is a highly effective form of local online marketing. It allows local businesses to promote their services to local customers at exactly the time they’re looking for your type of business. Local SEO uses search engines like Google and business directories like Yelp. Millions of local customers use these services every day to find the best local businesses in their area.
All local businesses, from builders to florists can improve their business and make more money through local SEO. Local SEO doesn’t have to be complicated, and you just need to have a well-rounded local strategy.
Local SEO FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. What types of businesses need Local SEO?
Any business that gets some or all of its customers or clients locally should consider local SEO. That could be a local restaurant, retail outlet, doctor, dentist or lawyer, but it could just as easily be a local ad agency. If you have a physical address in a city and expect people to go there, you should be doing local SEO for that location.
2. How is Local SEO different from National SEO?
While all of the elements that apply to national SEO also impact local SEO (on-page factors, links, social, indexing, etc.), local comes with a few unique elements.
- The first and probably most important is that for local SEO you need to create and claim a local profile on Google (and other platforms as desired.) Your local listing is what will show (usually) for localized search results.
- The second most important thing is called a citation. A citation is any place online that uses your company NAP (name, address, phone number) all on the same page, in the same format as your local listing. This same format bit is pretty important. While Google is pretty smart, it’s best to make sure that your local citation efforts match your local listing as closely as possible. Don’t abbreviate in one and not the other (St. vs Street, (800) vs 1-800, etc.)
- Third, reviews. Lots and lots of reviews (preferably really good ones.) Quantity and quality of reviews left for your business on your Google Places page is one of the most important local ranking factors.
3. What are the most important signals that boost local SEO rankings?
The three biggest factors in local listings appear to be the number of citations, the number of reviews (primarily on your Google Places listing, though other places do count), and how positive the reviews are overall. From what I’ve seen, positive reviews will trump citations, so persuading your customers and clients to leave great reviews on your Google local page is the single most important thing you can do. Of course, there are some things that have a big impact and that may not be directly in your control, such as how close your business is to the city center.
Since Slidecast recently announced that their service would be shutting down on April 30, 2014 – a number of current users have been frantically seeking alternative solutions to Slidecast.
Here are some of the best suggestions so far. Continue reading
I always get asked “how do you create a business page on LinkedIn?” and it’s not always straight forward as creating a page on something like Facebook.
To physically add a business/ company page you will need to fill the form out here: http://www.linkedin.com/company/add/show
You may receive the error message “A company with this domain already exists”
If you do then I have some solutions here: A company with this domain already exists – LinkedIn.